There are some flavour combinations that you just shouldn’t mess with. I think the classic potato, dill and pickle salad is one of them.
Now that I’m looking at the photos I’m realising how much i love the crunch of the dill pickle – I added in a lot! The recipe cuts back the amount of pickle so you should be safe. However if you love it as much as I do feel free to add more!
You will need:
- 5 large potatoes (completely up to you if want to peel them or not)
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup of dill pickles, chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup of whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional
- Wash the potatoes and boil them in salted water until they are cooked through (you should be able to cut through one with a knife). When the potatoes are cool, cube them evenly and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Slice the hard boiled eggs and add them to the potato.
- Add to the bowl the dill, pickles and red onion. Give it a toss until the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- In another small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and mustard with a pinch of cayenne pepper if desired.
- Gently combine the mayonnaise mixture to the potato until it is evenly stirred through.
- Leave to chill in the fridge before serving.