Hearty, warm and delicious! Everything you want in a soup
You will need:
- 3 osso bucco beef cuts, or 500gm of chuck steak
- 2 cups of french lentils, rinsed
- 1 bunch of silverbeet (roughly 400gm)
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground white pepper
- large pinch of salt
- 2 tbs of vegetable oil
- grated lemon zest
- Place the diced onion, garlic, oil spices (turmeric, paprika & salt pepper) and beef into a large heavy based saucepan and brown for 3 minutes.
- Cover with the 4 cups of water and bring to the boil. Bring back down to a simmer and add the lid. Leave to cook for about an hour until the meat is nice and soft.
- Remove the beef and shred with two forks (if you used the osso bucco cuts – remove the bone but cut out the bone marrow and add back to the soup). Return to the saucepan.
- Add in the rinsed lentils and cover the lid. Leave to cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Rinse the silverbeet and remove the stalks. Cut the leaves into rough strips.
- When the lentils are soft add the silverbeet leaves and mint then stir until wilted.
- Add more salt to taste.
- Serve hot with grated lemon zest on top.