I’m a huge fan of liver pate… HUGE. However, not many others I know are. So to play it safe (and include the vegetarians you might be having over for dinner) why not try a mushroom version? There’s no rules for what kind of mushrooms to use, just use your favourite or in my case what’s available at the store that day
You will need:
- 200gm swiss mushrooms
- 200gm button mushrooms
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 30gm salted butter
- 1tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Slice the mushrooms and add to a heated pan with the butter.
- Add the nutmeg, thyme leaves, pinch of salt and pepper.
- After the mushrooms are cooked through, transfer to a food processor.
- Pulse the food processor until the mushrooms are finely chopped and smooth enough to spread.
- Strain the mushroom mixture in sieve to get rid of all the water. *Keep the discarded mushroom water for a risotto or soup!
- Pop the pate into a serving dish and enjoy with some crusty bread or baguette chips.