- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch of kale
- 200gm good quality smoked chorizo, roughly chopped.
- 2.5 L chicken stock
- In a large soup pot on medium heat, saute the onion and garlic with a dash of olive oil until soft.
- Add the diced potato and chicken stock. Place the lid on top and leave to simmer until the potatoes are soft (about 10-15 mins).
- While the potatoes are simmering, clean the kale and remove the stems. Roll up the leaves and finely slice to form thin strips.
- Add half the kale to the soup and leave to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pan fry the chopped chorizo pieces until they are nice and crispy on the outside and cooked through. Remove the pan from the heat and put aside.
- Pour the potato and kale soup mixture into a blender (you’ll need to do this in two batches) and blend until smooth.
- Return the blended soup to the soup pot and stir through the remaining kale as well as the cooked chorizo. Keep simmering for another 10 minutes.
- Add some hot water to the soup if it’s quite thick.
- Season the soup with salt and a generous amount of white pepper. Remember to taste the soup first to see how much salt is needed as the chorizo can be quite salty.
- Leave to simmer for another 10-15 minutes so the flavours intensify.
- Enjoy with some nice crusty bread