Makes 15 , 3in tarts. Or you can make one large one
For The Pastry:
- 280 gm Plain Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 230gm of cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp cold water
- Pulse the flour and butter in a food processor until the mixture looks like rough sand.
- Whisk the egg, vinegar and water together in a bowl.
- Slowly add the egg mixture to the flour, pulse in between. It should start to form a ball of dough.
- Divide the dough into two balls and flatten into discs. Cover with cling wrap and chill in the fridge for about an hour.
For the Filling:
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 400 gm sliced fresh mushrooms (any combo of mushrooms is great)
- 50gm feta
- 3 large egg yolks
- 220gm sour cream
- 50gm butter
- 1tbs ground nutmeg
- Melt the butter in a pan and saute the red onions until soft.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and pan fry until they are nice and moist. Season with salt and pepper. Take off flame and leave to cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sour cream and nutmeg, then stir in with the cooled mushroom mixture.
Time to Assemble!
- Pre heat the oven to 180C
- Grease the tart molds with butter. Roll out the pastry, cut to size and line the molds.
- Blind bake the pastry for 15 mins.
- Fill each tart with some of the mushroom mixture and sprinkle with some crumbed feta.
- Return to the oven for another 15 mins. The mixture should be set but still a little wobbly when they are ready.